Don't Take a Vacation from Good Brushing Habits
Here in the Phoenix metro area, school’s out for the summer. While this will be greeted with pool parties and family vacations, there might be a problem when it comes to oral health. These problems arise if schoolgoers put dental hygiene and healthy diets on vacation.
Dental Routine During Summer Break
Summer break represents a break from routine. We tend to loosen up in the mornings as we’re no longer rushing to school, and at night we may let the kids stay up a little bit later, perhaps falling asleep in a couch cushion fort or a backyard tent. Oral health is just one of the many reasons why it’s good to stick with some semblance of routine. Yes, let kids be kids, but don’t let healthy habits slip away.
Just like during the school year, stock your pantry and fridge with healthy snack options. Limit candy and sugary drinks. If you host sleepovers, make sure your own children brush their teeth and, if you are able, consider providing a toothbrush to their guests who may have forgotten to pack one. When you go to the movies, restaurants, water parks and other summer activities, set a good example by drinking water or unsweetened tea instead of soda.
Sticking With Dental Health During Vacations
When you travel, it’s even more likely that you’ll break from routine. Isn’t that the point of vacation? You will almost certainly treat yourself and have fun to the point of exhaustion. Here are some tips for keeping your teeth in good shape:
- Plan a visit to your dentist before you go on vacation. This way, oral health will be fresh in your memory.
- Get a travel toiletry bag for your kids and have them pack their toothbrush, toothpaste and floss. When you arrive at your destination, have them set up their supplies in a prominent location.
- Buy dental supplies on arrival if you forget them at home.
- Use a clean cloth for cleaning the teeth if you are unable to get a toothbrush. Brushing with your finger or a cloth is better than no brushing at all.
- Use bottled water for teeth brushing if you are not sure of the quality of water at the destination.
- Bring healthy snacks for when you’re on the go; this will save you money, too!